As you all know we have been quite lucky with the weather recently! It has been sunny and warm, just the way we like it, but what about our doggies? Well did you know that dogs have a higher internal temperature than humans? Meaning they can suffer from heat exhaustion fairly quickly if you don’t take the necessary measures to protect them from the hot sun. Here are just a few simple ways in which you can ensure your dog stays healthy and happy during this fab weather!
- Always make sure your dog is hydrated. No matter where you are going you should carry a dog’s water bottle with you to prevent dehydration.
- You should try to exercise your dog in the cooler times of the day to prevent them from heat exhaustion and burning those little paws on the hot path!
- Keep your dogs coat short (but not shaved as this can cause sunburn) and brush your dogs hair especially if they have a heavy coat.
- Protect those pink noses by using baby sunblock to prevent sunburn!
- DO NOT leave your dog in the car for any amount of time.
- Always make sure your dog has somewhere to go for shade no matter where they are i.e a tree, a dog kennel etc.
These few simple steps will help you to enjoy the outdoors safely with your dog this summer. Now don’t forget your own suncream!!